Welcome to energyRt pages
energyRt is a package for R to develop Reference Energy System (RES) models and analyze energy-technologies.
energyRt package provides tools to build RES (“Bottom-Up”), technological, linear cost-minimizing models, which can be solved using GAMS and GLPK. The RES model has similarities with TIMES/MARKAL, OSeMOSYS, but has its own specifics, f.i. definition of technologies.
energyRt package is a set of classes, methods, and functions in R which are designed to:
- handle data, assist in defining RES models,
- helps to analyze data, check for errors and bugs before parsing it into solver,
- parses your dataset to GAMS or GLPK and runs them to solve the model,
- reads the solution and imports results back to R,
- assists with an analysis of results and reporting.
- minimize time of development and application of RES/BottomUp models,
- boost learning curve in energy modeling,
- improve transparency and understanding of energy models,
- use power of open-source to improve energy models and their application,
- making reproducible research (see [Reproducible Research with R and R Studio] (https://github.com/christophergandrud/Rep-Res-Book) by @christophergandrud and/or [Dynamic Documents with R and knitr] (https://github.com/yihui/knitr-book) by @yihui) accessible in RES-modeling,
- integration with other models and software.
The project is in an preparation of the first official release, which includes the documentation and a set of examples (expected - Nov 2018). Current functionality allows development of multi-regional RES models with trade, time-slices, and variety of technologies, an integration with GIS (via sp and choropleth packages), pivot tables (via rPivotTable), authomatic pdf-reports for models and scenarios, analysis of levelized costs of tehcnologies, and other features.
Authors and Contributors
The package is designed by Oleg Lugovoy (@olugovoy) and Vladimir Potashnikov (@vpotashnikov).